Schedule Your Consultation Today!Book Now
How to Properly Brush and Floss
By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with our dentists and hygienists, you can keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Frequent brushing and flossing protect the teeth and gums from disease and reduce the build-up of bacteria that has been linked to other diseases in the body.
Here are a few simple ways to maintain your oral health:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue which helps remove any extra plaque-causing food particles and keep your breath fresh.
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can't reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced, nutritious diet. Try to avoid sugary food and drinks.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with our hygienists and dentists every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask our dentist about dental sealants, protective plastic coatings that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts. They are particularly useful for children who are prone to cavities.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums
- Brush gently in a circular motion
- Brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of each tooth
- Use the tip of your brush for the inner surface of your front teeth
When you schedule an appointment at Rockwall Dental Associates, your dentist and hygienist will be able to help you with proper brushing and flossing techniques. Preventive care is the most important part of maintaining excellent oral health, so we encourage you to visit a dentist every 6 months for your professional cleaning.
Questions / concerns?
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding your oral health, we are more than happy to sit down with you and discuss how you can achieve a beautiful, healthy smile.